Research-oriented and focused on the latest developments in the discipline, our program readies you for Civil Engineering at the New York University research careers in the private sector. It also prepares you to teach at the university level, ensuring the most recent advancements in the field are shared with a new generation of civil engineers.
As a PhD candidate, you will choose to concentrate in 1 of these sub-disciplines:
- structural materials and engineering
- geotechnical and geo-environmental engineering
- environmental and water resources engineering
- construction management and engineering
- highway and traffic engineering
- urban infrastructure systems engineering and management
Other focus areas are possible and can be developed with the assistance of faculty advisers. All subject areas must be relevant to the degree sought, and a faculty member must be willing and able to guide your research.
- 54 credits of graduate course work (not including the PhD dissertation) in relevant major and minor areas of study beyond the bachelor’s degree, with an average grade of B or better (cumulative average of 3.0 or better on a 0-4 scale). Up to 6 credits of the 54 credits may be satisfied by individual guided studies, readings, projects and theses.
- Completion and successful defense of a 21-credit dissertation related to the major area of study. Dissertations must consist of original research that advances meaningfully the state of the art in the research subject area and should result in the publication of at least one paper in a strictly peer-reviewed technical journal related to the subject. A grade of B or better must be achieved for the dissertation.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesCivil Engineering & Construction General Engineering & Technology View 122 other PhDs in General Engineering & Technology in United States
- Admission to this program requires an MS in Civil Engineering or equivalent with a GPA of 3.5 or better (on a 0-4 scale).
- GRE scores are required for all full-time PhD applicants.
- Foreign applicants must take the TOEFL examination and submit the results for consideration.
In criteria 1 and 2 above, the “equivalent" can be achieved in several ways. You may have an MS degree with a different title that covers substantially the same material. In more general terms, you must demonstrate that you have the equivalent of all undergraduate and master’s-level course work to be able to pursue doctoral-level work in the chosen major area, as well as in a minor area within the umbrella of civil engineering.
International48546 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1798 USD per credit during 24 months.
National48546 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1798 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.