The Biochemistry PhD degree at Brigham Young University requires some course work, but the emphasis is primarily on original, creative research leading to a dissertation and to quality publications in scientific journals.
The PhD biochemist is prepared for a wide range of career opportunities that involve independent thinking and supervisory responsibilities in industry, government, or academia.
- Graduates of this program will demonstrate the necessary skills to become productive, ethical, and independent scientists. They will be prepared to further their educations through postdoctoral training, enter industry, and/or begin an academic career. This broad outcome is further elaborated in outcomes 2-5.
- Program graduates will understand and critically evaluate current research in biochemistry. Coursework that builds upon the students' undergraduate education will provide the initial steps to achieve this outcome. Continued critical reading of current literature is essential for reaching this outcome.
- Credit hours (54): 36 hours of course work and research plus 18 dissertation hours (Chem 699R). (With departmental approval, some credit from an MS degree may be applied toward this requirement.)
- Required courses: Chem 692R and 594R (multiple semesters), 601, 694 and other courses as required by the area of emphasis and as specified by committee.
- Semi-annual progress review, examinations, publication/s and presentations.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- GRE general test is required, GRE subject test in Biochemistry or Chemistry is recommended
- Baccalaureate degree or equivalent preparation in biochemistry
Living costs for Provo
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.