Our graduate programmes are internationally recognised and draw on advances in life sciences and the core discipline of biochemical engineering. We maintain close teaching and research links with experts throughout the UK and overseas, and are also involved in close collaborations with industry. This vibrant department leads in the field and offers an exciting graduate training and research environment. Independent assessments confirm the excellence and breadth of the department's taught programmes (IChemE accredited) and place our research programmes at the forefront of international endeavours. Biochemical Engineering programme is offered at University College London (UCL).
Recent career destinations for this degree include:
- Bioprocess Development Engineer, Centre for Commercialization of Regenerative Medicine
- Managing Director, Medisieve
- Project Manager, Lonza
- Process Development Scientist, Cell Therapy Catapult
- Viral Vector Downstream Processing, Boehringer Ingelheim
- Environment and sustainability: exploiting green biological catalysts for biorefining and high-value pharmaceutical syntheses
- Harnessing genomics: directed evolution, metabolic engineering and synthetic biology can deliver efficient cell systems for producing biopharmaceuticals and enzymes
- Making the outcome affordable: business approaches coupled with engineering paradigms offer new healthcare opportunities
- Processing of complex biological materials: epitomised by the use of human proteins and stem cells for therapy, the challenge is to process materials of increasing complexity to make them available to all who need them
- Speed from discovery to benefit: using small mimics, microfluidics and mathematical models provides process understanding for effective scale-translation enhancing the precision and rate of process development.
- 36 months
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesChemistry General Engineering & Technology Biochemistry View 49 other PhDs in Chemistry in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A UK Master’s degree, or a minimum of an upper second-class UK Bachelor’s degree, in a relevant discipline, or an overseas qualification of an equivalent standard.
- If your education has not been conducted in the English language, you will be expected to demonstrate evidence of an adequate level of English proficiency.
- The English language level for this programme is: Standard
International25960 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25960 GBP per year during 36 months.
National5690 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5690 GBP per year during 36 months.
- UK: £2,765/year
- Overseas: £12,890/year
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.