About the Program
The Juridical Science program of Emory University it is a highly selective program open only to applicants who possess a distinguished academic record in law, show promise of outstanding scholarship, and demonstrate potential for completing a scholarly dissertation of high quality.
- Students in the S.J.D. program must be physically in residence and conduct their work from Emory Law’s Atlanta campus during the first two semesters of the program.
- After the first two semesters in residency, students must be enrolled in the program, but may complete their research and writing from another location if remote work is approved by the student’s faculty supervisor and the 24 Executive Director of Graduate Programs.
- Students are strongly encouraged to stay in residence in Atlanta for at least their third and fourth semesters.
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesLegal Studies View 33 other PhDs in Legal Studies in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- All doctor of juridical science (SJD) applicants are expected to hold a JD or its foreign equivalent and an LLM degree from a US institution.
- In exceptional circumstances, the US LLM degree requirement may be waived for applicants who have a law degree from a common law country, and/or a graduate degree in law or related field.
- For foreign-educated lawyers, first law degree designations vary by country.
- The selection process for the SJD program is rigorous. After thorough review of all application materials, in a typical year one or two students are selected to begin the SJD program.
International58200 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 58200 USD per year during 48 months.
National58200 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 58200 USD per year during 48 months.
- Tuition Year 1 - $58,200
- Tuition Year 2 - $3,000
- Tuition Year 3 and beyond - $500 per semester
Living costs for Atlanta
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.