- Computation has become essential to biological research. Genomic databases, protein databanks, MRI images of the human brain, and remote sensing data on landscapes contain unprecedented amounts of detailed information that are transforming almost all of biology. The computational biologist must have skills in mathematics and computation as well as in biology. A key goal in training is to develop the ability to relate biological processes to computational models.
- The Ph.D. in Computational Biology is intended for students who are interested in advancing studies at the interface of biological sciences and computer science. The program is designed to allow rigorous pursuit of both disciplines for the purpose of advancement of research that lies directly at the interface.
- The Cornell program has a strong emphasis on interdisciplinary research that bridges the gap between diverse biological disciplines, from behavior and ecology to molecular biology, to computational fields including algorithm development, numerical analysis and computationally intensive statistics. The focus is on advancement of fundamental research through recognition of common needs and goals of researchers and students working on computationally intensive aspects of biological research.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Concentrations by Subject:
- Computational Behavioral Biology
- Computational Biology
- Computational Cell Biology
- Computational Ecology
- Computational Genetics
- Computational Macromolecular Biology
- Computational Organismal Biology
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A statement of purpose
- English language proficiency
International20800 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20800 USD per year during 36 months.
National20800 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20800 USD per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Ithaca
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.