- For more than a century, the Columbia Chemistry Department has played a major role in the development of the study of chemistry in the US. Until World War II, Columbia University dominated the academic scene by numbers, graduating more PhDs and staffing more academic posts in chemistry than any other US university.
- Since the 1940s, graduate programs have grown and expanded at many other institutions, and now Columbia is known more for quality than for quantity. The department runs one of the best graduate research and training Chemical Physics programs in the country, famous for its lively intellectual atmosphere and for the intensity of effort put forth by its faculty and students.
- Quantum Chemistry
- Statistical Mechanics
- Introduction to Molecular Modeling
- Special Topics in Physical Chemistry
- Interfaces and Condensed Phases
- Intermediate Statistical Mechanics
- Advanced Statistical Mechanics
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesChemical Engineering Physics View 27 other PhDs in Chemical Engineering in United States
- Columbia does not offer a free-standing program in Chemical Physics leading to the MA only; therefore, the subcommittee will consider applications only from prospective graduate students who intend to pursue a PhD degree.
- one transcript showing courses and grades per school attended
- a statement of academic purpose
- three letters of evaluation from academic sources
Living costs for Manhattan
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
- Fellowships are awarded in recognition of academic achievement and in expectation of scholarly success. Teaching experience is considered an important aspect of the training of graduate students, so all graduate fellowships include some teaching apprenticeship.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.