The PhD provides maximum flexibility, enabling graduates to develop the highest level of competence in their chosen field of scholarly specialization.
- All Politics PhD students at The New School are required to complete methods training in order to become conversant in methodological themes and debates in their field of study.
- Each student’s primary faculty advisor suggests and approves methods training most appropriate to the student’s project or trajectory of study.
To earn the PhD in Politics, a student must complete and pass the following:
- 30 credits of coursework beyond the MA, including the PhD Seminar (GPOL 7300) and field seminars in the student's choice of major and minor fields
- Methods training appropriate to the student's project and trajectory of study
- A language requirement
- Written exams in two fields (political theory, comparative politics, global politics, or American politics)
- An oral defense of a PhD dissertation proposal
- A dissertation
- An oral defense of the dissertation
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
Fall Application Deadlines
Fellowship Deadline: January 7
International Applicant Deadline: June 15
Final Deadline for U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents: August 1
DisciplinesHistory Public Policy Political Science View 40 other PhDs in Public Policy in United States
- Admission Requirements: International applicants are required to follow all admission procedures for U.S. citizens and permanent residents. Please pay special attention to the transcript requirements for applicants with foreign credentials.
- Transcripts: Review the admission procedures for U.S. citizens and permanent residents. Please pay special attention to the transcript requirements for applicants with foreign credentials.
- TOEFL, IELTS, and PTE: A TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE score is not required for applicants whose primary language is English or who have earned a four-year degree from a U.S. college/university or from a university where English is the primary language of instruction.
International67800 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2260 USD per credit during 24 months.
National67800 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2260 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.