Scholarly research and thinking are brought to bear on pressing issues of policy, design, and local and global development.
In the Public and Urban Policy program from The New School, you are encouraged to explore a range of theoretical perspectives, methodologies, and critical research approaches as you expand and refine your focal area of study to meet ongoing and emerging policy challenges.
- Receive support and inspiration to explore alternative theoretical frameworks and methodological approaches in understanding and explaining policy dynamics.
- Enjoy the flexibility to pursue theory and research from various relevant disciplines to best address your individual research interests.
- Faculty and students contribute to local, state, regional, national, and global policymaking to advance new learning and scholarly debate between academics and policymakers.
- The Doctor of Philosophy degree in Public and Urban Policy is conferred for completion of 60 graduate credits, passing of the qualifying examination, and approval of a written dissertation that advances knowledge in the field.
- The 60 credits normally consist of up to 30 credits earned in the student's master's degree program and at least 30 credits taken in residence in the PhD program.
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEconomics Public Policy Political Science View 40 other PhDs in Public Policy in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Complete Application
- Submit Your Application Fee
- Complete a Statement of Purpose
- Submit Your Résumé or CV
- Submit Two Letters of Recommendation
- Submit Official Transcripts
- Our Mailing Address
- Consider Submitting an Academic Writing Sample
- Submit TOEFL, IELTS, PTE, or Duolingo English Test
- Apply for Funding
- Check Your Application Status
- Receive Your Decision
International20520 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1710 USD per credit during 60 months.
National20520 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1710 USD per credit during 60 months.
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.