About the Program
The Doctor of Philosophy is awarded in recognition of (1) mastery, at an advanced level, of a body of knowledge in the disciplines of communication sciences and speech-language pathology, and (2) a demonstrated ability to perform independent research and communicate the results of that research. With the major advisor, the students in the Communication Sciences program of the Case Western Reserve University design an individual plan of study based on their professional goals and previous experience.
Doctoral students choose a content area (such as communication and aging, medically based speech disorders, or child language development and disorders) as their primary focus of study. However, they are also encouraged to enhance their scholarly preparation by completing course work outside of their primary content area.
- A minimum of 36 hours of course work is required, including 9 credit hours in statistics and research design and 3 credit hours of directed study and research. Fifteen credit hours in the primary content area are required.
- Two research rotations are required. One rotation is completed in the primary content area with the major advisor. The second rotation is completed with a faculty member other than the major advisor. The dissertation research is not included in either of the two research rotations.
- A supervised classroom teaching experience is completed under the guidance of a faculty member in the program.
- Written and oral examinations are taken after all course work and research rotations are completed.
- A dissertation prospectus is prepared under the guidance of a committee consisting of the dissertation advisor and two additional faculty members.
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesCommunication Studies Psychology School Counselling View 27 other PhDs in School Counselling in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- We expect our applicants to document a strong undergraduate and graduate record.
- Successful applicants will have strong letters of recommendation that highlight the applicants understanding of the profession and active participation in clinical and research activities.
- The applicant’s statement of purpose is also a vital component of the admission process as it helps with the matching of students with the appropriate academic mentor who shares similar interests. An interview is essential.
- Statement of Objectives
- Academic Transcripts
- 3 Letters of Recommendation
- An application fee of $50 is required for each application submitted
- Test Scores
International31952 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1997 USD per credit during 36 months.
National31952 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1997 USD per credit during 36 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.