Students must demonstrate competency in a foreign language or languages through coursework or examination. Students in pre-Modern Europe will be required to pass three language exams, including Latin.
The other two languages will be determined in consultation with the adviser. Students in Modern Europe will be required to pass two language exams, as determined by the adviser. Students in US history will be required to pass one language exam. The foreign language requirement must be fulfilled before taking the comprehensive examination. The History program is offered by the University of Tennessee Knoxville.
The comprehensive examination consists of an eight-hour written exam and a two-hour oral exam and must be taken no later than the semester following the semester in which the student completes the residence, course work, and language requirement (summer excluded). Failure to take the comprehensive examination within the required time will be counted as a failure on the examination.
Only students with an overall grade point average of at least 3.0 will be allowed to take the comprehensive examination. A student who fails the exam must repeat it the following semester (summer excluded).
A second failure on either exam will cause the student to be dropped from the history graduate program. A student who does not repeat a failed exam within the required time will likewise be dropped from the program.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Students may choose an alternative teaching field. This entails three courses in a major field other than the student’s own and requires approval from the Director of Graduate Studies, the student’s adviser, and a faculty member in charge of supervising that alternative field, and culminates in a two-hour oral exam conducted by the adviser and two course instructors. No more than one of these courses can be an independent study.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesHistory Ancient History Modern History View 12 other Masters in Modern History in United States
- The completed online Graduate Application for Admission
- A non-refundable application fee
- One unofficial transcript from all colleges and universities attended submitted on-line at the time of application to the Graduate School
- The submission of official transcripts and degree certificates
- Departmental application
- Reference letters or rating forms
International31798 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 31798 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National13380 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 13380 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.