For students taking an MA in our department, 24 credit hours of additional graduate course work beyond those applied to the MA degree are required. For students admitted directly into the program without an advanced degree, 48 credit hours of graduate coursework are required. For those admitted with advanced degrees in other fields, the number of credit hours required will be determined by the Graduate Committee.
In all cases, this does not include credit hours for work on the dissertation (PHIL 600) and the student’s dissertation committee may require additional course work at its discretion. See the department’s graduate student handbook for more specific requirements. The Philosophy program is offered by the University of Tennessee Knoxville.
- Students must normally demonstrate a reading knowledge of one living foreign language in which there exists a significant body of philosophical literature.
- In special circumstances relating to the area of dissertation research, the Graduate Committee may approve a language not satisfying these conditions or the requirement of a foreign language may be waived in favor of other appropriate research skills, if approved by the Graduate Committee upon recommendation by the Director of Graduate Studies.
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Philosophy & Ethics Literature View 15 other PhDs in Philosophy & Ethics in United States
- The completed online Graduate Application for Admission
- A non-refundable application fee
- One unofficial transcript from all colleges and universities attended submitted on-line at the time of application to the Graduate School
- The submission of official transcripts and degree certificates
- Departmental application
- Reference letters or rating forms
International31798 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31798 USD per year during 36 months.
National13380 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13380 USD per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Knoxville
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.