The PhD in English Literary Studies from The University of Iowa requires a minimum of 72 semester hours of graduate credit, a comprehensive examination, dissertation, and dissertation examination.
- With the exception of the Introduction to Graduate Study course for PhD students, no specific course or sequence of courses is required of students.
- Instead, all students are encouraged to design a program that combines the breadth they will need to teach survey courses with the focus that will enable them to make significant scholarly contributions to their areas of specialization even before they complete the degree.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- In planning your course of study, it is important to remember that in the past decade economic constraints have led many colleges and universities to seek broadly trained, critically informed job candidates who are prepared to teach and publish in amply defined fields of study.
- All doctoral candidates are strongly advised to gain teaching experience, preferably in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Department of Rhetoric and in GE CLAS Core literature courses.
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages View 62 other Masters in Languages in United States
- Your unofficial academic records/transcripts from all post-secondary institutions. If you are formally admitted, you will need to submit official records/transcripts prior to entering the program.
- Three letters of recommendation.
- A brief statement of purpose (1-2 pages) explaining your intellectual interests, qualifications, and reasons for choosing Iowa’s MA or PhD program.
- Official TOEFL scores for non-native speakers of English.
- A writing sample. The sample should be your best critical or scholarly writing, originally written for a class, with the original instructor’s comments included (if available, not mandatory). Because of the number of applications we receive, we ask applicants to submit only one paper, of moderate length (10-25 pages).
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.