The first checkpoint in a doctorate student’s career is the Qualifying Exam. Students must pass this exam in order to be officially admitted to candidacy in the Ph.D. program. The exam is directed at testing students’ understanding and application of basic concepts and mastery of technical knowledge in different areas.
The exam is administered near the end of the Fall and Spring semesters, and should be taken early in the student’s Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering program at University of Utah.
The second checkpoint is a dissertation research proposal defense, which is given within a year of passing the qualifying examination and at least 8 months prior to the dissertation defense. The proposal defense assesses the student’s research abilities and is administrated and scored by the student’s supervisory committee. Passing the proposal defense indicates that the student’s proposed dissertation research is approved by the committee and can commence.
Turn in Program of Study Form
- Ph.D. Post-BS Program of Study
- Ph.D. Post-BS Robotics Track Program of Study
- Ph.D. Post-BS Design and Manufacturing Track Program of Study
- Ph.D. Post-MS Program of Study
- Ph.D. Post-MS Robotics Track Program of Study
- Ph.D. Post-MS Design and Manufacturing Track Program of Study
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesPhysics Mechanical Engineering General Engineering & Technology View 31 other PhDs in Mechanical Engineering in United States
- An applicant for admission to The Graduate School must meet the following minimum requirements:
- An undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0, based on all undergraduate work. If the undergraduate GPA is below 3.0, a GPA will be calculated on the last 60 semester hours (90 quarter hours) of the undergraduate work for admission consideration;
- Meeting the academic department’s admission standards, and receiving a recommendation for admission to their graduate program.
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4177 USD per credit during 36 months.
NationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4177 USD per credit during 36 months.
In-StateFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1176 USD per credit during 36 months.
Living costs for Salt Lake City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.