Faculty and Metallurgical Engineering students are typically engaged in the following general areas:
- Mineral processing at University of Utah: fracture characteristics of particles, comminution, mathematical modeling of specific processes, fluid dynamics of specific operations, flotation, surface chemistry, and novel designs.
- Hydrometallurgy: metal extraction, concentration, purification, electrodeposition, and corrosion.
- Pyrometallurgy: thermodynamics, kinetics and modeling of high-temperature chemical processes.
- Physical metallurgy: powder metallurgy, nondestructive metal failure detection, magnetic materials, rapid solidification.
- Synthesis and processing of advanced inorganic materials: nanosized and nanostructured materials, magnetic materials.
- A student seeking a Ph.D. degree must pass a qualifying examination in metallurgical engineering. This examination is oral, followed by a written version, if necessary. Also required is a research proposal on a subject of the student’s choosing approved by a committee from the discipline of the proposal; the same committee then becomes part of the student’s supervisory committee.
- An individual program is planned by each candidate with the assistance and approval of the supervisory committee. A minimum of 67 total credit hours is required, including at least 33 hours in research and 34 hours in course work. Planned course work, transfer credits, and proposed research must be approved by the student’s supervisory committee. The student then defends the dissertation before the supervisory committee.
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesMaterials Science & Engineering Mathematics Applied Mathematics View 28 other PhDs in Materials Science & Engineering in United States
- An applicant for admission to The Graduate School must meet the following minimum requirements:
- An undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0, based on all undergraduate work. If the undergraduate GPA is below 3.0, a GPA will be calculated on the last 60 semester hours (90 quarter hours) of the undergraduate work for admission consideration;
- Meeting the academic department’s admission standards, and receiving a recommendation for admission to their graduate program.
International125310 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4177 USD per credit during 48 months.
National125310 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4177 USD per credit during 48 months.
In-State35280 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1176 USD per credit during 48 months.
Living costs for Salt Lake City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.