Students in the Biochemistry, Cell, and Developmental Biology program of Emory University are making discoveries at the levels of molecules, cells and organisms that improve our understanding of biological processes, including those that cause or prevent human disease. The pathways to discovery provide the experience necessary for successful scientific careers in academia, industry or government. Whether your goal is basic science or translational research we offer research opportunities that will enable you to impact human health and our understanding of the world.
Emory University is a premier research institution. Trends in NIH funding rank Emory among the fastest-growing medical centers in the U.S. The medical school is highly ranked, and several major research centers are located on or near Emory’s campus:
- The U.S. Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC), the premier public health research and policy organization in the world, is adjacent to Emory, and many CDC researchers are actively involved in Emory’s life sciences programs.
- The Yerkes National Primate Research Center, one of only eight National Institutes of Health-funded national primate research centers, provides specialized scientific resources, expertise and training opportunities in biomedical and behavioral research involving nonhuman primates.
- Two eminent cancer research organizations are close to Emory: the Winship Cancer Institute, part of Emory’s Woodruff Health Sciences Center, and the American Cancer Society national headquarters are located a short distance from the campus.
Emory is well known for strengths in many scientific disciplines. With over 55 faculty members in the BCDB program, and over 300 in the Graduate Division of Biological and Biomedical Sciences, Emory is sure to have a leading researcher with state-of-the-art facilities in the specialty of your choice.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The BCDB program offers an ideal training venue for students. In the first year, BCDB students participate in an innovative series of mini-courses covering a range of topics in biochemistry, cell biology and development.
- They also get research experience through three laboratory rotations. In the second year and beyond, students focus on dissertation research in their chosen laboratory but also supplement their training with a course in biostatistics and one in hypothesis development and experimental design in a unique faculty peer-reviewed grant-writing course. Students may also choose from a number of electives in their specialized area of interest.
- The curriculum emphasizes communication, and critical thinking skills through journal clubs and student seminars. Students also gain valuable classroom teaching experience with a one-semester requirement that can be expanded to fit the desires of the student.
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesChemistry Biology Biochemistry View 66 other Masters in Chemistry in United States
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Successful applicants have strong undergraduate records in the biological or chemical sciences, and usually have research experience. Three general criteria are used to evaluate applicants: GPA, research experience, and letters of recommendation. We are both selective and rigorous, but do not follow a cookie-cutter approach to finding the best students.
- The desire to learn can be more important than experience, and each applicant is individually assessed for those qualities that are not contained in quantitative test scores. Are you creative? Are you curious and intuitive? Are you ready to devote yourself to research at the highest level? You may be someone we are looking for.
- GRE scores are not required by any of the Programs in the Graduate Division of Biological and Biomedical Sciences. International applicants whose native language is not English must complete the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
International43800 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21900 USD per semester during 36 months.
National43800 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21900 USD per semester during 36 months.
Living costs for Atlanta
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.