Students in the Chemical Oceanography program of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) have access to courses, programs and resources at one of the top oceanographic research institutions in the world (WHOI), one of the top research universities in the world (MIT), and they have the opportunity to take courses at Harvard. In addition to seminars and lectures by visiting scientists from all over the world, students can expand their intellectual horizons by taking courses or participating in programs well outside their main area of focus.
Chemical oceanography is the study of the pathways that chemical species follow on their transit through the oceans. Chemical oceanographers examine vast ranges of time and space scales...
- From molecular level to global in space
- From fractions of a second to billions of years in time
Besides addressing purely geochemical issues, chemical oceanographers work at the boundaries between chemistry and biology, geology and physics. There they apply their efforts to a broad spectrum of interdisciplinary challenges.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Marine Chemistry
- Seminar in Chemical Oceanography
- Geochemistry of Marine Sediments
- Modeling, Data Analysis, and Numerical Techniques for Geochemistry
- Ore Deposition at Submarine Ridge Axis
- Quaternary Paleoceanography
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesChemistry Earth Sciences View 67 other PhDs in Chemistry in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- In the application, you will be asked to supply the names and email addresses of three people to submit letters of recommendation on your behalf
- You will be required to describe the grading system(s) used at all colleges and universities you have attended. Explain the specific meaning of any numeric values, letter grades, and rankings
- English Language Proficiency (IELTS or TOEFL)
- Statement of Objectives
International26725 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26725 USD per year during 60 months.
National26725 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26725 USD per year during 60 months.
Living costs for Cambridge
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.