The Accounting at the University of Pennsylvania trains students to do rigorous research in accounting, a specialized area of financial economics. The program is highly analytical and quantitative. We look for strong undergraduate preparation in microeconomics and mathematics, while some prior accounting or finance training at the undergraduate or graduate level is an advantage.
- Institutional understanding of how accounting information is used by capital market participants and/or within firms is useful and best obtained through relevant work experience, but is not required of applicants.
- Close working relationships with faculty members provide an excellent learning experience while at Wharton and can continue throughout the student’s career.
- Our program provides students with opportunities to interact with faculty and get started on relevant research early in the program. Required research elements include the accounting workshop colloquium, the first-year research assistantship, and the first and second year summer research papers.
- Accounting Theory Research
- Empirical Research in Accounting
- Empirical Design in Accounting
- Workshop Colloquium
- Microeconomic Theory
- Game Theory and Applications
- Agency, Information and Incentives
- Financial Institutions
- Empirical Methods
- Intertemporal Macroeconomics and Finance
- Empirical Methods in Asset Pricing
- Mathematical Statistics
- Applied Econometrics
- Mathematical Statistics
- Linear Statistical Models
- Econometrics: Fundamentals
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesAccounting Econometrics View 18 other PhDs in Econometrics in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Letters of recommendation
- Academic history
International39470 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 39470 USD per year during 48 months.
National39470 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 39470 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Philadelphia
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
All admitted Wharton doctoral students receive a fellowship that covers the cost of tuition and health insurance, and provides a stipend. It is expected that a similar level of financial aid may be awarded for up to 5 years. All financial aid awards are contingent upon a student's satisfactory academic progress.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.