Our Philosophy Ph.D. program from Stanford University trains students in traditional core areas of philosophy and provides them with opportunities to explore many subfields such as the philosophy of literature, nineteenth-century German philosophy, and medieval philosophy.
- Among other areas, we are exceptionally strong in Kant studies, the philosophy of action, ancient philosophy, logic, and the philosophy of science.
- We attract some of the best students from around the world and we turn them into accomplished philosophers ready to compete for the best jobs in a very tight job market.
- Our program is well known for its small size, streamlined teaching requirements, and low average time to degree.
- The program regulations are designed to efficiently provide students with a broad base in their first two years.
- In the third year students transition to working on their dissertations. During the summer prior to the third year, students are required to attend a dissertation development seminar.
- This seminar introduces students to what is involved in writing a dissertation. During the third year the course load drops to just under one course per quarter.
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesPhilosophy & Ethics View 14 other PhDs in Philosophy & Ethics in United States
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Admission to candidacy for the doctoral degree is granted by the major department following a student's successful completion of qualifying procedures as determined by the department.
- Departmental policy determines procedures for subsequent attempts to become advanced to candidacy in the event that the student does not successfully complete the procedures. Failure to advance to candidacy results in the dismissal of the student from the doctoral program; see the "Guidelines for Dismissal of Graduate Students for Academic Reasons" section of this bulletin.
Living costs for Stanford
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.