- All students are required to minor in at least one other field. Frequently selected minors are aerospace engineering, applied mathematics, applied physics, astronomy, electrical and computer engineering, geophysics, materials science, mathematics, mechanical engineering, physics, and structural engineering. Students usually take four years to earn the Ph.D. degree.
- Ph.D. students take a qualifying examination. For incoming students with a Bachelor's degree, the examination is usually held after they have completed two semesters of graduate studies at Cornell. For incoming students with a Master's degree, the examination is held after they have completed one semester of graduate studies at Cornell. They must also demonstrate proficiency in English and one of the following languages: French, German, Russian, Chinese, or Japanese. Teaching experience is required.
- The graduate field of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics (TAM) provides a foundation in engineering science and applied mathematics that prepares students to carry out analytical or experimental research and to develop models to solve a wide variety of engineering problems. Faculty are particularly strong and active in dynamical systems, networks, composites, adhesion, granular mechanics, fracture mechanics, planetary rings and asteroids, robotics, biomechanics and bio-mathematics, locomotion and insect flight.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Current research topics include
- solid mechanics (modeling of manufacturing processes, quantitative ultrasonic and acoustic emission techniques, fracture mechanics, composite materials, mechanics of human-powered vehicles, nonlinear elasticity);
- fluid mechanics (granular materials, strongly swirling flows);
- dynamics and space mechanics (evolution of the solar system, planetary rings and rotation of celestial bodies, qualitative analysis of dynamic problems in nonlinear mechanics, bifurcations, chaos);
- biomechanics and biomathematics (respiration of plants, how fishes swim).
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMechanical Engineering General Engineering & Technology Mechatronics View 7 other Masters in Mechatronics in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A statement of purpose
- English language proficiency
International29500 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 29500 USD per year and a duration of .
National29500 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 29500 USD per year and a duration of .
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.