The program emphasizes comparative connections not only among Portuguese-speaking regions, but also between Portuguese-speaking countries and other regions of the world, including Spanish America and Spain. Through a set of core, foundational courses as well as the flexibility to take courses outside of the department on the Portuguese-speaking world and in related areas of interest, the program offers both depth and breadth of training to students arriving with a B.A. or M.A. in Portuguese or in a related field, such as Latin American Studies, Spanish, Comparative Literature or Romance Languages and Literatures.
The Department of Spanish and Portuguese will be among the top undergraduate and graduate programs in the United States in the fields of Hispanic Linguistics, Iberian Studies, Latin American and Latinx Literary and Cultural Studies, and Portuguese. The Portuguese program is offered by The Ohio State University.Excellent Faculty and Academic Programs
- Support innovative and relevant research about language, language contact, linguistic phenomena, literature, film and visual studies, and overarching cultural dynamics in Latin America, Portugal, Spain, the United States, and Portuguese- and Spanish-speaking Africa and Asia
- Offer programs of distinction; and support innovative teaching
- Promote interdisciplinary research and collaboration
- Comparative Luso-Hispanic studies
- Medieval Iberian literatures and cultures
- History of the Portuguese empire (early modern and modern)
- Colonial and postcolonial studies
- Subaltern studies
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 38 other PhDs in Language Studies in United States
- The equivalent of a four-year bachelor's or advanced degree from an accredited college or university, earned by the expected date of entry into your graduate program.
- A minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA (on a 4.0 scale or equivalent) for the last bachelor's or advanced degree earned.
- Transcripts or other credentials documenting that you have completed prerequisite academic work.
- Standardized test score (GRE or GMAT)
International40507 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 40507 USD per year during 60 months.
National37140 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 37140 USD per year during 60 months.
In-State12424 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12424 USD per year during 60 months.
Living costs for Columbus
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.