- The PhD in Electrical Engineering program is filled with students and faculty keenly aware of this cycle of progress. They prize the School of Engineering's emphasis on invention, innovation, and entrepreneurship — what we call i2e — and they maintain that emphasis through top-flight laboratories and a fierce dedication to advanced research.
- Your studies with us will prepare you for a research career in electrical engineering after graduation. But you’ll also be capable of sharing these lessons with your own students, should you choose to teach at the university level.
- Applicants to this degree program may be eligible to participate in
- the Abu Dhabi Global Fellow Program at the New York University.
- Graduate students who have exhibited a high degree of scholastic proficiency and have given evidence of ability for conducting independent research may consider extending their goals toward the doctorate. The degree of Ph.D. is awarded after completing the program of study and research described below, and upon preparation and defense of a dissertation representing an original and significant contribution deemed worthy of publication in a recognized scientific or engineering journal.
New York University is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE).
- A minimum of 75 credits of academic work beyond the bachelor’s degree, including at least 21 Ph.D. dissertation credits taken at NYU is required. A minimum of 42 credits in formal courses (as distinct from “independent study” credits such as reading, project or thesis) are required. The chosen formal courses must satisfy the following:
- A student, in consultation with and upon approval by the Ph.D. advisor, should choose at least 4 EL courses (12 credits) among courses with numbers EL-GY 6XXX, EL-GY 7XXX, EL-GY 8XXX, as their core courses. The student must have completed at least 2 such courses with the average grade of taken courses being 3.5 or above, before taking the oral qualifying exam. The remaining core courses must be completed before graduation.
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesElectrical Engineering General Engineering & Technology View 148 other PhDs in General Engineering & Technology in United States
- The Office of Graduate Admissions requires all applicants to complete the online application and does not accept paper-based applications. If you have any issues with submitting an application via the online application system, please contact our office. The application must be completed and electronically submitted on or before the posted deadline for the term of entry.
- The application fee is $75 and is payable in the online system by major credit card. If you are having problems submitting your payment via Credit Card, please contact the Office of Graduate Enrollment Management and Admissions.
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.