- You can become researchers within the Connected Cities for Smart Mobility toward Accessible and Resilient Transportation (C2SMART) in the Tandon School of Engineering, where you get to work closely with researchers from other disciplines to conduct basic and applied research funded by the National Science Foundation, U.S. DOT, and other agencies.
- Graduates of the Transportation Planning and Engineering program at the New York University have successfully pursued careers in academia and technical leadership positions in government and industry around the world. Having a Ph.D. from this program opens opportunities to work with agencies or nonprofit organizations like the World Bank, the U.S. Department of Transportation, or RAND Corp; or with top technology firms like IBM, Google, Amazon, or Ford.
New York University is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE).
- 51 credits of graduate work (not including the PhD dissertation) in relevant major and minor areas of study beyond the bachelor’s degree, with an average grade of B or better (cumulative average of 3.0 or better on a 0-4 scale).
- Completion and successful defense of a 24-credit dissertation related to the major area of study. Dissertations must consist of original research that meaningfully advances the state-of-art in the subject area of the research and should result in the publication of at least 1 paper in a strictly peer-reviewed technical journal related to the subject. A grade of B or better must be achieved for the dissertation.
- Completion of 2 minor areas of study, each consisting of between 9 and 12 credits of graduate work. At least 1 minor area must be outside the transportation area.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesElectronics & Embedded Technology Management Studies View 89 other PhDs in Management Studies in United States
- Admission to this program requires an MS in Transportation Planning and Engineering or equivalent, with a GPA of 3.5 or better (on a 0-4 scale). GRE scores are required for all full-time PhD applicants. Should you decide to take the tests, you must submit the results for consideration. Foreign applicants must take the TOEFL examination and submit the results for consideration.
- The “equivalent” of the MS degree can be achieved in several ways. For instance, you may have an MS degree with a different title that covers substantially the same material.
International67425 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1798 USD per credit during 24 months.
National67425 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1798 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.