The Clinical Psychology program from The New School is one of the few clinical programs that combine a psychoanalytic emphasis with adherence to the scientist-practitioner model.
It also recognizes the importance of understanding the roles of culture and context in mediating healthy psychological development, psychopathology, and psychotherapeutic change.
The mission of the Clinical Psychology doctoral program at The New School for Social Research is to train scientist-practitioners who:
- Are competent at clinical practice, including diagnostic assessment, case formulation, and intervention, and case formulation;
- Are engaged in contributing to scholarship in all its forms;
- Are grounded in the broader field of scientific psychology and can integrate scientific knowledge, clinical research and practice;
- Students are expected to take courses in clinical theory and technique, diagnostic testing, evidence-based practice, culture and ethnicity, ethics, and statistics, among others
- Students must also complete a practicum at the program's training site, the Safran Center for Psychological Services, in their first year, followed by two full years of externship and externship seminars
- The clinical component of training culminates in a paid, full-time, APA-accredited internship, procured through a national match process.
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
Fall Application Deadlines
Fellowship Deadline: January 7
International Applicant Deadline: June 15
Final Deadline for U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents: August 1
DisciplinesPsychology Counselling Clinical Psychology View 113 other PhDs in Psychology in United States
- Admission Requirements: International applicants are required to follow all admission procedures for U.S. citizens and permanent residents. Please pay special attention to the transcript requirements for applicants with foreign credentials.
- Transcripts: Review the admission procedures for U.S. citizens and permanent residents. Please pay special attention to the transcript requirements for applicants with foreign credentials.
- TOEFL, IELTS, and PTE: A TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE score is not required for applicants whose primary language is English or who have earned a four-year degree from a U.S. college/university or from a university where English is the primary language of instruction. Test score requirements are outlined in the application instructions.
International40680 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2260 USD per credit during 60 months.
National40680 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2260 USD per credit during 60 months.
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.