The current interdisciplinary perspective in the Family and Child Studies program from The University of New Mexico assumes that family dynamics can best be understood within the multiple contexts in which they occur.
With the exception of a 12-hour doctoral core, students plan an individualized program with their Committee on Studies that focuses on the area of Family Studies and which may include courses in the graduate unit as well as from other units.
- Behavior Management Specialist
- Case Manager
- Hospital Child life Specialist
- Child Advocate
- Foster Care Case Manager
- Parent Educator
- Social Services Program Coordinator
- To be eligible for the doctoral core courses (advanced seminars in theories, research and legal, ethical and policy issues in Family Studies and Internship), students will be expected to have had graduate courses (Family Studies Master’s Core courses) or their equivalents in human growth and development, family interaction, managing family resources, multicultural issues in working with families and children, introductory statistics and a course in research methods.
- In addition, students must have 24 credit hours in a secondary discipline and complete 15 hours to meet the inquiry skills requirement.
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesFamily & Consumer Science Early Childhood Education View 12 other PhDs in Family & Consumer Science in United States
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- UNM’s Online Graduate Application (completed electronically).
- The $50 non-refundable Application Fee (paid online). International applicants pay $75 fee.
- ALL Official Transcripts from any institution/college you took courses at will need to be sent to the UNM Office of Admissions.
- Research Statement. Letter of Intent is your research statement describing your anticipated doctoral research focus, academic training, interest in the field, and career objectives.
- Three (3) Letters of Recommendation (LOR) Ratings Form. At least TWO of them must be from your current or former full-time Professors that have a PhD (no teaching assistants or part-time instructors). You may submit 3-5 references but only 3 are required.
- GRE Scores.
Living costs for Albuquerque
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.