The program is flexible; students can concentrate on applied mathematics, such as differential equations and numerical analysis, or on other applicable techniques in mathematics. Scientific computing is an important part of applied mathematics, so it is often a part of student training and dissertation research.
Prospective students should have a desire to apply a mathematical science (mathematics or statistics) to relevant problems in another area.
Students take a qualifying examination over three of the four core course sequences required for the Ph.D. (analysis, differential equations, numerical analysis, and topology). They also take a comprehensive examination related to their intended research area.
- Faculty members help each student plan a course of study that is consistent with the student's background, interests, and goals.
- These individual programs are designed to help students develop expertise in methods of applied mathematics and build a good foundation in related topics of theoretical mathematics. The individual programs also provide sufficient knowledge in an outside area to enable students to use mathematical techniques in that area.
- Students can arrange their study plans to earn a master's degree from another department after they complete part of their plan. Students find suitable thesis problems and supervisors with the help of the faculty.
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesMathematics Applied Mathematics View 28 other PhDs in Applied Mathematics in United States
- Apply Online: To begin the general graduate application process, set up an account with an existing email address and password
- Three letters of recommendation
- An application for graduate funding
- A master’s degree from a Regionally Accredited American College or University
- A minimum grade-point average (GPA) of 3.00, or the foreign equivalent as determined by the Office of Admissions
- English Proficiency Requirements: International applicants whose first language is not English must submit results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) for admission to the university
International26460 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26460 USD per year during 36 months.
National29504 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29504 USD per year during 36 months.
In-State10768 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10768 USD per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Iowa City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.