The Doctor of Philosophy program in Health Services and Policy from The University of Iowa requires a minimum of 72 s.h. of graduate credit. Students must maintain a cumulative g.p.a. of at least 3.25 to earn the degree. Those who enter with a master's degree can apply to use transfer credit toward their doctorate degree with approval of the health services and policy program.
- The Ph.D. program is oriented toward applied, interdisciplinary research and scholarly inquiry. Students develop mastery of theories and research methodologies necessary to study the complex American health system.
- They work closely with faculty mentors on research projects and develop research design and methodology skills through coursework and an apprenticeship model of training.
- The health economics focus area provides students with in-depth training in economic theory and its applications to health and health care.
- Students in this area acquire advanced theoretical knowledge and state-of-the-art analytical and econometric skills that enable them to build careers as health economists in academic departments, research organizations, and health care industries.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesHealth Sciences Public Policy View 39 other PhDs in Public Policy in United States
- Applicants must have earned a Bachelor’s or master’s degree from an accredited college of university. Applicants with a bachelor’s degree in health, business, economic, social science, or related areas who are interested in research in health services and policy are encouraged to apply to the Ph.D. program.
- A minimum grade point average of 3.0 on undergraduate course work and 3.25 on graduate course work is preferred.
- GRE scores are not required, but are optional for fall 2021 applicants.
- TOEFL (or IELTS) scores are required for international students except permanent residents or those who have earned a degree from an accredited institution in the US, Canada (except Quebec), Australia, New Zealand, or the United Kingdom. The minimum recommended scores are: paper 600, computer 250, and internet 100. The minimum recommended IELTS score is 7.0.
- Relevant work, research and/or volunteer experience is considered.
International34697 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 34697 USD per year during 24 months.
National34697 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 34697 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State16378 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16378 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Iowa City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.