The doctoral program has a strong orientation toward the interfaces between the science of mechanical engineering and other areas. In addition to the core mechanical engineering subfields, such as mechanical and thermo-fluid sciences, the program’s areas of research training include the emerging fields in which mechanical engineering intersects with the materials sciences, bioengineering, automotive engineering, optical engineering, and advanced energy technologies.
The Ph.D. program in Mechanical Sciences and Engineering at the University of Michigan - Dearborn is highly selective and offers admission to exceptional students who have completed a Bachelor's or Master's degree in engineering, applied math, computer science, or physical science.
- Students will be able to demonstrate advanced knowledge of the foundational principles of mechanical sciences and engineering and the chosen specialization. (Tag: Theory & Tools)
- Students will be able to conduct high-quality original research in the broad field of mechanical sciences and engineering. (Tag: Research & Innovation/Problem Solving)
- Students will be able to communicate and disseminate their knowledge to a broader audience. (Tag: Scholarship)
- Students will be able to demonstrate preparedness for varied responsibilities and opportunities for careers in industrial research and academia. (Tag: Research & Scholarship)
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Advanced Engineering Analysis
- Study or Research in Selected Mechanical Engineering Topics
- Experimental Research in Mechanical Engineering
- Guided Study in Mechanical Engineering
- Master’s Thesis
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesMechanical Engineering General Engineering & Technology Mechatronics View 118 other Masters in General Engineering & Technology in United States
- A bachelor’s or master’s degree in mechanical engineering or a closely related field with a minimum GPA (grade point average) at or equivalent to 3.2 on a 4.0 scale. Candidates with other engineering degrees or degrees from non-engineering fields are considered with the understanding that they have to complete remediation coursework upon admission.
- Submission of recent GRE scores and, for non-native English speakers, recent scores of an advanced English proficiency exam, such as TOEFL or IELTS.
- Submission of a full application package, which, in addition to the above, includes:
- at least three letters of recommendation (must be on letterhead and indicate the student's research potential),
- a curriculum vitae (CV) or a resume,
- an academic statement of purpose indicating the intended field or fields of research, and
- a personal statement
International890 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 445 USD per semester and a duration of .
National890 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 445 USD per semester and a duration of .
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.