At Mathematics from Louisiana State University the General Examination, an oral exam for Ph.D. students, tests if a student is prepared to begin dissertation research. The General Exam must be passed prior to the start of the fourth year of study, unless a postponement is allowed by the Graduate Committee.
Students at Mathematics from Louisiana State University will:
- demonstrate a mastery of a broad area of mathematics
- be able to write a dissertation making an original and substantial contribution to mathematics.
- Functional Analysis
- Complex Variables
- Differential Geometry
- Ordinary Differential Equations
- Graph Theory
- Numerical Linear Algebra
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMathematics Applied Mathematics Statistics View 31 other PhDs in Statistics in United States
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Louisiana State University and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Personal information/addresses
- Degree program (PhD or MS) that you are applying for. You do not need an MS degree to apply for the PhD.
- Education and work history.
- GRE General Test scores.
- Proof of English proficiency
- Three letters of recommendation from persons who are familiar with your qualifications to study graduate mathematics.
- Personal statement of purpose or objectives.
- Upload a brief summary of previous teaching and research experience.
- A list of mathematics courses taken.
- GPA 3.0
- Research document/papers. This is OPTIONAL. This is provided for those applicants who have written research documents and/or papers and would like to include them with their application packet. Any included papers should be uploaded in the attachment section.
International29456 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29456 USD per year during 36 months.
National29456 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29456 USD per year during 36 months.
In-State12541 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12541 USD per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Baton Rouge
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.