- Behavioral Neuroscience students at the Oregon Health & Science University joining our PhD graduate program gain outstanding training and mentorship across these boundaries of biology and behavior through studies of a variety of vertebrate species, including humans, rodents, and non-human primates. Our faculty offers expertise in the neurobiology of substance abuse, cognitive and affective neuroscience, behavioral genetics, animal communication, learning and memory, social neuroscience, and impulsivity. We integrate our diverse interests through the highly collaborative structure and collegiality of our program.
- We accept students with a diverse array of qualifications and encourage applications from those who have completed undergraduate coursework in biopsychology or neuroscience and other basic biological science areas that are useful for studies in behavioral neuroscience (e.g., biology,chemistry). Applicants are strongly encouraged to have completed at least one semester of physical chemistry and at least one semester of organic chemistry prior to submittal of their application to our program.
Oregon Health & Science University is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities.Accreditation of an institution of higher education by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities indicates that it meets or exceeds criteria for the assessment of institutional quality evaluated through a peer review process.
- During the first year of our graduate program, students participate in laboratory research rotations to identify a mutual fit with a laboratory and faculty mentor. By the end of the second year, students have completed required coursework and a research proposal. Students then focus on their research. After graduating, some students pursue postdoctoral fellowships and others apply their expertise to careers in industry, government or communications.
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesPsychology Neuroscience Genetics View 27 other PhDs in Neuroscience in United States
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
For admission to Oregon Health Sciences University Graduate School, students must have obtained the following:
- Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) from an accredited college or university with an appropriate educational background in behavioral and biological sciences.
- Cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 (based on a letter grading system of A = 4 points; B = 3; C = 2; D = 1; F = 0) or its equivalent in other grading systems.
- Acceptable scores on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Test. Although there is no GRE admissions "cutoff" score, Verbal, Quantitative and Analytical Writing General Test Scores of 153, 148, and 4.5 or above, respectively, will generally be considered competitive.
Living costs for Oregon
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.