- Program structure reflects a dual understanding of the scholar's role in the discipline at large: as a teacher and as a researcher making an original contribution to the field, with an emphasis on expanding and reinterpreting disciplinary knowledge in a broad intellectual arena. Course requirements at the Columbia University are therefore designed to give entering students a solid foundation in historical knowledge and theoretical discourse, with sufficient flexibility to allow the initiation and pursuit of individual research agendas.
- The Architecture program's focus is on the history and theory of modern and contemporary architecture and urbanism in an international and cross-cultural context, from the mid-eighteenth century to the present. Within this, a wide range of research is supported through the varied expertise of the faculty and through strong relationships with other departments throughout the University and beyond.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Aesthetics of Decay
- UP Elective Internship
- Urbanisms and Algorithms
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArchitecture Civil Engineering & Construction Landscape Architecture View 6 other PhDs in Architecture in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Eligibility for admission to the program is generally limited to students holding a Master of Architecture degree or a five-year Bachelor of Architecture degree plus a Master’s degree in the field of architectural history and theory. Under certain circumstances, students who hold a Master’s degree or equivalent in another field are considered for admission.A complete application includes:
- Transcripts of all previous post-secondary education
- A statement of academic purpose
- A curriculum vitae or résumé
- Three letters of recommendation from academic sources
- For international students: Examination scores to fulfill the English Proficiency Requirement
- A sample of scholarly writing, 30 pages
- Payment of the application fee
GSAPP is proud to offer several million dollars annually in scholarships for both international and domestic students.
Living costs for Manhattan
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
A comprehensive program of financial aid is provided. For the duration of their five-year enrollment, all students receive full tuition and a stipend to assist with living expenses.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.