Conduct cutting-edge fundamental research in Cancer & Disease Biology, Cell, Developmental & Stem Cell Biology, Evolutionary & Population Genetics, Genome Organization, Maintenance & Expression, Microbiology, Neuroscience, Structural Biology, Biophysics, Biochemistry & Chemical Biology, or Systems Biology. Build on our history as a birthplace of Model Organism Research, Evolutionary Genetics, and revolutionary advances in Imaging. Program faculty present research talks to first-year students and are eager to host students for rotations. The PhD program provides advice, broad training, social events and financial support.
Embracing diversity with connectivity
- We have students, faculty and research personnel at the Columbia University from all over the world, with backgrounds ranging from mathematics and computation though chemistry, physics and biology. Diversity of all kinds is valued and promoted through inclusion and cohesion in our Biological Sciences Program, the whole Columbia University community and New York City. Community is promoted through common meeting places and discussions, overlapping intellectual exposure in lab rotations and courses, and collaborative research.
Current research interests of the faculty span many areas of modern biology and involve species from prokaryotes to humans.Some specific fields of interest include
- the regulation of gene expression
- mRNA processing
- mechanisms of signal transduction
- oncogenes and tumor suppressors
- the structure and function of enzymes and multi-protein complexes
- the genetics of invertebrate development
- the genetics and biogenesis of mitochondria
- development of the nervous system
- neuronal differentiation and degeneration
- ion channel structure
- function and regulation and mechanisms of transduction in the olfactory system
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiology Biochemistry Genetics View 108 other PhDs in Biochemistry in United States
- Undergraduate training in one of the natural or physical sciences is required. It is also desirable that students have had at least a year of calculus, as well as courses in organic and physical chemistry, physics, genetics, biochemistry and cell biology.
- The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is required. The GRE Subject Test in biology, biochemistry, chemistry, computer science or physics is strongly recommended.
- In addition to the requirements listed below, all students must submit 1 transcript showing courses and grades per school attended, a Statement of Academic Purpose and 2 letters of evaluation from academic sources.
Living costs for Manhattan
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.