- Columbia University has created a curriculum that deeply examines the basic science, clinical, and social implications of a number of diseases in great detail. Diseases like sickle cell anemia, atherosclerosis, Alzheimer's disease, neuromuscular diseases, liver diseases, diabetes, and diseases of the eye are major areas of research focus.
- The Pathobiology and Mechanisms of Disease program aims at a new approach to converting basic research of disease into clinically relevant results. Alumni have gone on to important positions in academia, government, and industry.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Molecular Genetics
- Biochemistry, Cell and Molecular Biology
- Cellular Tissue and Architecture
- Mechanisms of Human Disease
- Statistics for the Basic Sciences
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- First-year classes start: Late-August
DisciplinesBiomedicine Biology Human Medicine View 181 other PhDs in Biology in United States
- A basic knowledge of biology, chemistry, physics, and mathematics
- A personal interview
- Letters of recommendation from former instructors
Living costs for Manhattan
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Fellowships are awarded in recognition of academic achievement and in expectation of scholarly success. Teaching and research experience are considered an important aspect of the training of graduate students. Thus, graduate fellowships include some teaching and research apprenticeship.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.